Perfect for a leisurely Sunday brunch, baked French toast is so easy to make. The Orange Almond Swirl Bread (see recipe below) I used for the French toast is made from Voilà! Hallah Traditional Egg Bread Mix, but you may use any bread. Bake it just before serving and welcome your guests with an out-of-this-world aroma, blending sweet orange, vanilla, cinnamon and a smidge of nutmeg. May serve with any syrup, a bit of caramelized apples or peaches (sautéed in butter), whipped cream or just plain, as it is plenty sweet from the orange-almond swirl challah. You will be surprised how easy it would be to impress your family and friends.
BAKED ALMOND ORANGE SWIRL CHALLAH FRENCH TOAST RECIPE
- 8 slices Voilà! Hallah bread, 1″ thick (recipe below)
- ¼ cup butter, melted in a baking pan in the oven
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- Smidge nutmeg
- 5 large eggs
- ¾ cup milk, heavy cream or half & half
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° F.;
- Place butter in the baking pan that will accommodate the challah slices. I used a 9×13 Pyrex. Place pan in the oven to melt the butter.
- Mix eggs, milk and vanilla in a bowl.
- Mix sugar and spices in a small bowl and sprinkle evenly over buttered bottom of pan.
- Place challah slices in the pan and pour egg mixture all over.
- Let stand in the refrigerator for 1 hour, or overnight, until egg mixture is absorbed.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.
Orange Almond Swirl instructions:
- Follow instructions 1 and 2 on the back of a box of Voilà! Hallah.
- Instead of dividing the dough into small portions for braiding, flatten the dough and stretch it into a large rectangle.
- Then spread about ½ cup homemade orange peel marmalade all over dough, drizzl about ¼ cup date molasses (can substitute with maple syrup) or sprinkle ¼ cup brown sugar.
- Finish with a generous sprinkle of sliced almonds (about 1/3 cup).
- Roll the dough jellyroll-style, placed in an oiled or parchment-lined bread pan, paint with egg wash all over, let rise 45 minutes in a warm, draft-free area.
- Bake in a 350° F preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Bread is done if it sounds hollow when tapped on bottom with fingers. If not ready bake for another 5 minutes and check again.